Just a quick update on the status of the Lower Bay dredging project.
1. The contractor, R.E. Staite, has indicated that they may commence dredging as soon as next week or so. We will be having a construction meeting in the next couple days, so I will have a schedule after that. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up as the final countdown has begun.
2. Please see the attached figure which I will be building upon throughout the entire project. It’ll show a updated snapshot of what areas are currently being dredged, and what areas are complete.
3. We will be dredging under some of the mooring fields which will need to be temporarily relocated. If you are a mooring permittee and would like to move your vessel to another mooring in the harbor for a few weeks, please contact the Harbor Patrol’s office and they’ll be happy to reassign you on a first-come, first-served basis, no charge. If you do not want to move your vessel, the City’s contractor will move it, along with the mooring, to a temporary location close by. South Mooring Company will be assisting the City with this effort.
4. Most vessels at private and commercial docks will not be required to move during dredging, but a few that overhang into the federal channel may need to vacate their slips for a day or two. (If affected, you will be contacted ahead of time.) However, please be warned that there will inevitably be splashing of water and sediment near the dredge zone, so it is highly advisable that you move your boat(s) while the dredger is near your dock. The impacts in any given area will be temporary, and may last only a few days in front of the docks, and perhaps a few weeks in each mooring field. Please ask your harbor friends or neighbors for assistance with temporary boat storage during this project.
5. Feel free to pass along this information to any other interested parties, or ask that they contact me with their email address to be included in my updates.
I will provide more information as it becomes available.
Harbor Resources Manager
( (949) 644-3043 * firstname.lastname@example.org