Thursday, September 28, 2017

On the Harbor: Pitchin’ in for harbor cleanup and interesting tidbits from the Harbor Commission meeting

Bose Family Sailing in BCYC Club Championships 


Fall is upon us and quite frankly this time of year just confuses me. I wake up, it is sunny. I put on my jacket, go out onto the harbor, and I am sweating like an engine mechanic in a bilge, then the wind goes up…I’m cold what are you gonna do?
I’ll tell you what I am gonna do, I plan on doing my mechanic impression Saturday, September 30 and take part in the “The Harbor Cleanup Event.” Registration is at 9 a.m. at the Balboa Yacht Club, Trash Collection from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., with a BBQ from 12:30 to 2 p.m. BYC in association with the Ben Carlson Foundation is conducting a harbor cleanup day. The event is BYOV (Bring Your Own Vessel). You will need to have access to a dinghy, kayak, paddle board or other vessel to participate. If you need a kayak, contact the sailing center at Marina Park. I am sure they will be glad to rent you one. Nets will be provided. Not sure who’s idea this is, but WELL DONE! The chairperson of the event is Carrie Robertson, so odds are good it was her idea. If the Harbor Master gave out awards, at the end of the year each year, this one would have to be a favorite.
H20 Fleet 1 Championships

Speaking of favorites, the Harbor 20 fleet championships are on the same weekend as “The Harbor Cleanup Event,” September 30 and October 1. The early favorites in C Fleet are PJ and Mike Kohl, B fleet is anyone’s call. I am going to go with Gretchen and Richard Loufek. A fleet is much easier to pick: Diane and Bill Menninger are the heavy favorites, although there will probably be 17 other sailors bringing their best game. My gut tells me it is going to be a memorable weekend.
I attended the Harbor Commission meeting on September 13 with a couple of items on the agenda catching my attention. Because it is fall already, the discussion regarding standup paddle boards (SUP) might be forgotten until next summer, but with the drowning of a SUP user in Huntington Harbour last month this item could not be overlooked. Topics included quick safety lessons and mandatory lifejackets. This seemed like a wasted effort because who is going to listen or comprehend a quick safety lesson then place on a lifejacket on a hot sunny Newport day? In my opinion, the best idea came from Harbormaster Dennis Durgan when he asked, “Why don’t we require SUPs to wear a leash?” Key word here is wear and it seems to be an easily obtainable solution.

Coyote models
Next up, was the harbormaster report with most of it passing through one ear and out the other although two items took hold. Sea Lion Abatement was one item. I cannot think of anything that looks worse, on the harbor, than boat owners placing random netting and gallon buckets from Home Depot around their boats in an effort to deter sea lions. Nothing makes the phone ring more at the harbormaster’s office than when we have a large group of sea lions that are barking all night, what are you gonna do? The answer right now is coyote models, works like a charm. I first noticed them at the San Diego Yacht club about two years ago and finally figured out what they are for. If I had a boat on a mooring or a waterfront home, I would not hesitate to purchase a coyote model as a sea lion deterrent.
The next item that has been barking for attention for years, is harbor code enforcement. While showing a boat this week, I watched Newport Beach code enforcement officers place notices on nearby boats notifying them that they must cease and desist their Airbnb ads. Harbor operations workers have also been attaching courtesy notices on the dinghies that have been staying on the public docks too long. I have also watched code enforcement officers joining harbor operations on ride alongs. It’s all good and long overdue in my opinion.
New Public Pier

Talking about public docks, next time you are over at Lido Park, next to the Elks Club, notice the new public dock off of Central Avenue. The concept for this dock is for 35’ foot or smaller vessels to tie up for up to three hours and go to West Marine or the local restaurants.
My “Silly” Idea of the Week: Lets re-consider disregarding fishing line canisters that we see in other harbors for fishermen on our public docks and highly used fishing areas like along the railing across from the new public dock to dispose of their line rather than throw it into the water.

The start of Lobster Season

For me, I am hoping I still have my mojo after winning the BCYC club championships sailed in Harbor 20’s last Sunday. This weekend is the two warm regattas with the fleet champs at the end of the month, wish me luck! 
Sea ya’
~~~~~~~~
Len Bose is a yachting enthusiast, yacht broker and harbor columnist for StuNewsNewport.

No comments: