Sunday, March 02, 2014

I want to go where it's warm.

Start of the 2013 Heineken Regatta

If you follow me on Facebook you already know I am in St. Maarten for the 34th Heineken Regatta. Yea, I know it kind of sucks to be me huh? The crew of Linstar  have all been invited to attend this years event from the boats owner, John Shulze.

This regatta really does not match up to a Trans Pac, race to Hawaii, Sydney to Hobart, or Newport Beach to Cabo San Lucas race. This event is all about the party, the best way to describe this regatta is to think of Newport Harbors and Balboa Yacht Clubs Long Point race to Catalina times ten. The only physical demands required is that you have to wake up and participate in the sailing event before the next party.

The event has grown over the last ten years with two hundred and ten boats participating this year. Crews will be arriving from: Russia, Austria, Denmark, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, France, Holland, Sweden, Norway, Uruguay and the USA. Then blend in all the participants from the Caribbean islands and the fun meter will be at full tilt, no pun intended.

On my return home, I will immediately have to start writing my next column and I would suspect that it will be on the Heineken Regatta. That does not mean things are quite within Newport Harbor as spring approaches.
Tango


The Midwinters regatta, sailed back on February 15 and 16th, was the start of this years Newport Beach High Point Series. Roy Jones J 133 came out of the gate with a bone between its teeth and won the event overall. In second was Brian Dougherty J 105 Legacy. Brain’s team has been together for a long time and has decided to race out of Newport this year and compete for the high point. In third was Peter Bretschger J 120 Adios who also sailed very well that weekend.  The next high point race is the 66 series April 5th out of Balboa Yacht Club.

On March 7th and 8th is Newport Harbor and San Diego Yacht Clubs Islands race. I am almost bummed I am missing this race this year. I purchased new foul weather gear for this event and will not need it in the Caribbean, just kidding. This event starts in Los Angeles harbor and sails around Catalina and San Clemente islands before finishing in San Diego. Last years race was some of the most challenging sailing I have ever participated in. This year most eyes will be on the two large trimarans Orma 60 and Orion the MOD 70. I count close to forty boats entered and it looks like the seventy footers will have a good race between themselves with six boats entered. If I had to pick a winner, this far out, I would have to go with Pyewacket the Andrews 70 owned by Roy Disney.

In the Harbor 20 fleet the season is well underway. With the Midwinters and Schock regatta already completed. Later this month BCYC Lorin Weiss series will be starting March 16th , I am sure you all recall I just happened to have won Weiss series last year? The Earl Corkett will be the next high point event sailed out of Newport Harbor Yacht Club on March 23. I am going to take a guess that Helen and Warren Duncan have taken the lead in Fleet 1 high point series at the time of writing. 

Just one last thing I would like to encourage you to attend, before I take off for some place warm, and thats “Understanding the Racing Rules” seminar presented by Peter Haynes at the Bahia Corinthain Yacht Club on March 15th, go to harbor20.org to register. This is open to everyone and I do not care how good a sailboat racer you think you are. You will learn something by attending this seminar and I can almost guarantee that you will improve your performance as much as if you took a little blue pill. Just remember to call a doctor if you win four races in a row. 
"Hello doctor I have just won my forth race and the next regatta is  in two week"


I am thinking to much of green bottles!


Sea  ya

No comments: