Friday, August 09, 2013

The Harbor Report: A few words en route to Catalina



Dan Rossen and Len Bose sail in the Bahia Corinthian Yacht Club Championships. (Joysailing / August 8, 2013)

By Len Bose
August 8, 2013 | 8:44 a.m.

I need to keep this harbor report a little short this week, as the family is loading up Linstar for a midweek Catalina vacation.

Last weekend was as busy as it gets on the harbor. Saturday was the South Shore Yacht Club's raft-up in the five points anchorage just off the tip of Lido Isle. I have never made it out for this event, and this one was a little quieter than previous years. Gary Hill had a band set up on the aft deck of the William B and about six to eight boats side tied to one another. One of our harbor regulars reports that it was a good time and he had his boat back into his slip by eight. I have to mark my calendar for next year and do my best to make it out to the anchorage and support this event.
Over at the Balboa Angling Club, the Helen Smith Offshore Tournament, 30-pound line, was taking place last Friday and Saturday. Alan Baron crewed aboard Eric Noyes' good-looking Mikelson 50 Reel Noyes and caught the largest dorado at 19.94 pounds. It was heard around the docks they caught a "boat load" of fish, and that's a big boat. The vessel Shadow had Brett Reichert aboard and brought in the largest tuna at 47.27 pounds. Ryan Marshall found the largest yellowtail at 25.40 pounds. The club seems to be one of our harbor's hot spots, with membership continuing to grow. Next tournament is the Newport Harbor Bass Bay Open on Aug. 24.
This weekend is one of the year's biggest events for me at the Bahia Corinthian Yacht Club. It's time again for the club championships, with Saturday being the family championships and Sunday the club championships. Sailed in Harbor 20s, the family event already has 12 teams signed up, and club championships has 10. I would think we will have about five more entries in each event by the time you are reading this.
The family event is very relaxed, more for the photo ops and a chance to invite family members out on the race course with you. There must be a club member at the helm and two immediate family members as crew in each boat. With my small family and my wife having to work Saturday, I called my first cousins. I will have two adults and three teenagers aboard, and I'm hoping that it's a windy day so I can look for the photo boat to do circles around. I know, I am such a poser, but someone's got to do it.
Sunday, things get a lot more serious, and I am bringing my good friend Dan Rossen as my crew. This year, the club championships has been renamed the Doug Mills Memorial Trophy, and the entry list is more competitive than the Harbor 20 class championships. Last year's winners, Mark Gaudio and Patrick Kincaid, have not signed up yet, but something tells me they will. Chris Raab also joined BCYC this year, and if Mike Pinckney, Erik Shampain and Eric Mayol are in town, the entry list starts to get heavy. Right now, David Levy is the favorite, and he has the skill level to beat the above names if they show up. It's not like myself, Peter Haynes, Guy Doran and the other entrants are not going to have our game faces on.
The mark roundings will be close, and I am sure we will have short discussions at each one. But at the end of the day, I am sure we will all applaud the winner. All BCYC members and friends are welcome to come aboard the spectator boats and join in the fun. Last year, we had a rather large fleet of spectator boats, and it was energizing to hear everyone cheer you on.
The phone just rang and my list of to-do's just grew by five. Whites Cove in Catalina is my happy place, so I have to run!

Good Times in Catalina








Sea ya.
LEN BOSE is an experienced boater, yacht broker and boating columnist.

No comments: