Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Counting Newport Harbor's amazing boats 2010



















Over the next five weeks, I will be counting down Newport Harbor's 20 Most Interesting Boats. I received a fantastic response to the 10 Most Interesting Sailboats and now it's time to review this year's 10 Most Interesting Power Boats. Lets start with:
No. 10 "JUNO" 72' Built in 1969 in Holland Cammengas Yacht Yard. She is one of only six built for world cruising. Seen almost every weekend at Moonstone in the summer season, she does not sit still for long. You have to love that umbrella on the upper deck. She lives off Bayside Drive.
No. 9 "AVOCA" 36' The Seafoam Green Hinckley 36 picnic yacht. Last seen in Avalon this summer with family and friends enjoying Catalina. A truly beautiful yacht kept in perfect condition. She berthed under full cover in the dry storage racks at the Newport Shipyard.
  • RELATED
Next on everyone's mind is what to give this holiday season to the sailor in your life. A couple of ideas looked interesting in cruising around the harbor this week:
1.) Ultrasonic Antifouling Ltd. now has an Ultra Series II system suited for every type of hull, ensuring owners enjoy their boating to the full with minimal yearly labor and cost. This is not a gag; Google it. If this thing works it might save on your bottom paint?
2. Planus is delighted to announce the"Magnetic Seat & Cover. The product solves the problem of falling seat and covers on board. That's right, this one keeps the head cover up. How many stories do you have when the head lid has crashed down on you?
3. At Basin Marine Shipyard, Derek New showed me the "Mooring Catcher," the perfect gift for the yachtsmen who does not want to run a dirty sand line down the side of their boat. How many times have you been in Catalina and picked up the sand line, and after you have attached the stern loop, it appears that someone has gotten sea sick down the side of your boat?
Now I have some holiday gifts from our local marine vendors I would like to hand out to my readers. Especially to the mooring permit holders of Newport Harbor. These vendors are people I have learned to trust over my 23 years on the harbor, and I hope you will recognize their names the next time you need something for your boat. Please send me an e-mail with your boat name and type after you read this story and I will place your names in a hat.
This week the gift bag contains the following:
From Dave Beek at Island Marine Fuel: Get 30 cents off a gallon on either Premium Valvtect gas or diesel up to a 100 gallons and a "world famous" Island Marine Fuel T-Shirt!
I do all my boat title work with The Mary Conlin Company. Mary is the best at what see does and has saved my stern many times when making sure I have a clean title to transfer. Mary has given me one free title search for my readers!
Craig Chamberlain from Mariners General Insurance, where I tell all my customers to go for their yacht insurance, has donated a box of their boat show swag with their famous carbon money clip and much more.
Gary Miltimore, who has designed and applied most of the graphics on Newport's 20 most interesting boats, has donated one of his highly desired prints of Catalina. Looking for that special gift? Have Gary do a painting of your love one's boat.
Please send your emails to boseyachts@mac.com, and if you are a marine vendor, restaurant, or anyone else who would like to help me with my holiday gift giving to my readers over the next four weeks, please contact me.
LEN BOSE is an experienced boater, yacht broker and boating columnist.

No comments: