Saturday, January 30, 2010

Sharing Some Helpful, Local Boating Websites

By Len Bose

I am not going to lie! I had no interest in going onto the Harbor this last week. With the wind reaching over 40 knots, sheets of rain coming down, waterspouts coming off the ocean, and boats falling over in shipyards and all those red flags flying over the Harbor department, I had no desire to head out into the bay.

But there I was, still having to venture out a couple of times this week to help clients retrieve loose dinghy, re-tie boat covers, inspect mooring lines and just make sure their boats were safe. I have been very fortunate by watching the web-based radar maps and then picking my times to head out onto the bay. With these tasks completed it was a good time to go over this year's marketing plan and stay inside until these El Nino winter weather systems passed over.

Therefore, I spent a lot of time behind my computer this week and thought it might be a good time to point out some of the better local boating websites. On the top of my list is the Newport Mooring Association websitehttp://www.newportmooringassociation.org/. This is obviously going to give you all the information you want regarding Newport Harbor moorings, but the site goes the extra mile and provides you with one of the better links pages I have seen. From Newport’s Boating guide to my favorite “Marine Traffic” report, this site has links to all of Newport’s Harbor Web Cams from Balboa Yacht Club, Newport Harbor Yacht Club, Balboa Ferry, City of Newport Beach Cams and the Croul Family Cams. With these links you have the harbor almost covered. This is a great site and deserves a daily visit to see if your boat is okay on its mooring, and to read up on what the Harbor Commission is up to.

Now, if you have a maritime legal problem or if you were wondering how to place a lien on the boat you are renting your slip to, check out The Log's, “Ask A Maritime Attorney” by David Weil, Esq. http://thelog.com/askattorney/askAttorney.aspx?x=353. All of Weil's pieces are to the point and very informative. After reviewing through most of his archives I found myself agreeing with his opinion 100% of the time. It’s not a column just for the marine industry, but rather more for the average yachtsman. For example: “What’s my liability of getting bumped at a mooring.” His work is easy to read and understand, so you should bookmark this site. My last site of interest is the city of Newport's Television Station – "NBTV” http://www.newportbeachca.gov/index.aspx?page=487. Within the city’s video archive is a piece called “Heart of the Harbor.” Now this VOD is not particularly well done, but it's free and full of local information. I find it very interesting and fun to watch when it’s blowing 50 knots outside.

I will be back next week reporting on our local fleets, providing information on lessons learned from placing a claim with your boat insurance agent, and a review of the upcoming Corona del Mar to Cabo yacht race.

Sea ya'

Len Bose

Len Bose is the owner of Len Bose Yacht Sales.

No comments: