Wednesday, February 23, 2022

On the Harbor: Boating, a treasured family business, passes down to the next generation

 

(L-R) Mike Howarth with his son, Barrett

By LEN BOSE

While working the harbor as a yacht broker, I am constantly on the water, walking through shipyards, launching boats, referring insurance agents and maintenance teams, because “It’s what I do.”

Each day we watch the tide come in then go out and over time we notice a change within and around the harbor. Some of the change is not substantial, yet just shifts in the wind. For example, while walking up the gangway from my slip in the Newport Marina, there was a group (I’ll call them kids) circled together telling sea stories. In the circle was Tyler and Travis Duffield talking to Carson Hill. The kids gave me a very welcoming hello, and I thought to myself there is the wind shift, which I understood would come someday.


Tyler and Travis Duffield are the siblings of Terry and Marshall Duffield who we all recognize as owners of Duffy Boats. Both young men are very active in the family business and have the individual skill sets that will take them well into the future. Last week, I was in the Duffy maintenance boatyard while Travis and Tyler were installing a new boat lifting system. I’ve also spent time with them understanding and marketing Following Sea, their Bertram 56. Both are focused on the task at hand, and it’s rather interesting listening to their fresh perspective of our harbor and the marine business.

With my life revolving around sailboats, it’s not that often I pull up to Hills Boat Service/Fuel Dock. Established in 1947, it’s quite obvious that we are shifting into the third generation of the family business. The integrity of the family name continues through the different generations. From afar, I have watched and worked with Gary Hill around the harbor for many years. I have not had a chance to work with his son Carson yet, although I have observed him greeting customers on the fuel dock and running the fuel tanker. Like they say, “The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree” – and from our first meeting I respect the kid, and how he represents his family’s history in our harbor.


Bunker Hill Sr & Jr

Another arm from the Hill’s family tree is Bunker Hill with his son Bunker Hill Jr., who have been working together for close to 10 years as marine surveyors. They are not just any marine surveyors…they are the harbor’s go-tos for respected/quality marine surveys. I have worked with Jr. on a couple of boats, and have observed him working on the family boat where it is obvious that he takes pride in his work with a strong passion for boating. Jr. always greets me with a welcoming hello which translates to going the extra mile for you

While walking the boatyards, you recognize the best quickly, which I did some 32 years ago when I booked my first survey at Basin Marine. Dave New has always quickly shared information with me and taken extraordinarily good care of all of my customers. The New family has operated Basin Marine since 1939 with Don New at the helm. I met Dave in 1989 and he had already lost most of his hair. Dave’s son Derek jumped aboard in 2006 and has become the primary helmsman. Both still work closely together at their navigation table in the main office. Derek still has a full set of hair and greets me with a big smile, demonstrating that he wants to help. I’ve worked next to Derek while solving and estimating repairs. I have never disagreed with his recommendations while always feeling he has my clients’ best interests at heart.

Back in 2012, I wrote a story about meeting two boat making legends: Mike Howarth and Henry Mohrschladt. At that time Howarth took me back into his shop and introduced me to his son Barrett who had his head deep into the center console of a prototype of the Mag Bay Yachts 33. Mike called Barrett up for an introduction, in which Barrett quickly backed out of his difficult position to say hello, then dove back to his task of solving an electrical issue. Mike went on to explain that this project was all Barrett’s. Now after nine years, the team is building two of the sexiest boats on this planet – the Mag Bay 33’ Center Console and 42’ Sport Fisher. I had a chance to run into Barrett the other day while he was launching a 33’ Center Console at Newport Dunes by himself. I re-introduced myself and he said, “Yes, I know who you are Len. How have you been?” The greeting felt like I had not seen a good high school friend in years while taking the time to talk about the marine business with me. Another great kid that takes great pride in his work.

Speaking of great kids, Patty and Harvey Wills at Western Marine Marketing have recently handed over the helm to their son Whitney, who is out at every shipyard, boat show, and at the manufactures facility with the 16 marine products they represent. The Wills family has been a pillar in the yachting community for as long as I can remember. I witnessed Whitney demonstrate the new features of a Pettit bottom paint at our local shipyard, and I was instantly sold on the product and have recommended it to the Harbor 20 fleet.

I gotta tell you, it feels really comforting to know that our harbor is in good hands for years to come.

Sea ya.

~~~~~~~~

Len Bose is a yachting enthusiast, yacht broker and harbor columnist for Stu News Newport.

No comments: