Friday, October 26, 2018

Baja Ha Ha and a lap around the harbor.



Pacific Seacraft 37 For Sale Len Bose Yacht Sales
Now that I have a better understanding of the General Election and have mailed in my ballot, which was no easy task. I am rummaging through closet and dresser to find all my winter sailing gear. 

“You bet I am going back to Sea” which goes alongside my other saying “ I can’t wait until I can afford this shit!” On October 29 starts the 25 annual Baja Ha HA cruisers rally from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas with stops in Turtle Bay and Santa Maria.  Newport Beach residents Kathi & Chris Killian aboard their Lagoon 41 Derive and David Hahn J/46 Precision are two boats out of 168 boats that are participating in this year’s rally. I sold the Killian’s their Lagoon 41 last year and at the close, Chris looked up at me and said: “You’re going with me on next years Ha Ha right?”  “Sure,” I said and well I am packing my seabag right after I am done writing this column. I have convinced my wife Jennifer that “This is a work trip” and I am fortunate to have just listed a very clean Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37, which you can find on my blog site at lenboseyachts.blogspot.com, to introduce to any perspective cruisers while attending the rally. See what I did there? 

Before I step aboard Derive my mind wonders to the November 17th Special meeting of the Harbor Commission aboard one of the Balboa car ferries, which will be departing at 0845. I suggest you arrive by 0830 if you want a spot, the purpose of this Special Meeting is to build familiarity with the topics, terminology, and geography frequently reviewed by the Harbor Commission, build rapport between the Public and the Commissioners and identify additional areas of concern in the Harbor.  

Similar to preparing for the General Election lets review the topics and prepare our questions for the special meeting. “ The following is my two cents and what I am thinking which will irritate a number of people. One thing I am good at is listening so please express your views with me.
Click on this chart for points of interest.

If you look at the attached chart and notice the route the Special Meeting will be taking the topics will follow in this order.

1. Deep Water Dredging: Always the highest priority topic within our harbor because it never ends. Some of this topic will be blended in with Harbor Vision, the bucket always hits the sand at cost and disposal. Chris Miller of Public Works understands the permit process and my observations are it just comes down to disposal. Miller is the best person to talk on this topic.

2. Derelict Vessels: Our previous Harbor Master Dennis Durgan did an outstanding job on this topic by strongly encouraging code enforcement in our harbor. Yet one question should be asked, why did The City not qualify for grant money from the states Surrendered and Abandoned Vessel Exchange (SAVE) in 2019? I understand the answer, the real question is how do we not overlap the funds again and who is working on the grant for 2020?

3. RGP 54: One of the best things to ever happen to our harbor yet it needs constant maintenance. Huge topic, my questions will be who is maintaining these permits, how can we improve the process and is it possible for us to ever have an area where we can dispose of clean sand in the harbor?

4. Nav Marker Replacement: Way overdue we have been discussing this topic since 2014 and these markers were to be replaced this spring. I only count three of these old channel markers in the harbor # 4, Just before the County’s Harbor Department which might be considered a range marker to enter the Harbor. # 10 off Balboa Island near the Ferry crossing and # 12 just before the north side if the Lido Channel. Markers  12 & 10 are no-brainers, just look at # 12 it been run into more than one of the old bumper cars at the fun zone. So after you look at the new marker # 11 glance across the bay and look at # 12 just in front of John Waynes old home. Come on guys lets get this task off the list.

5. Harbor Operations: This is kind of irrelevant until the new Harbor Master takes the helm. My concern now is there is no longer any harbor continuity. The people in the bridge have no understanding of the history of our harbor and are really no different than a sheriff who has just transferred from prison duty. My observations are that the minions in the patrol boats should be clean-cut, uninformed and off their cell phones while on duty. I bet I made a few friends with that comment?

6. Harbor Amenities: Wide open topic, a couple of things come to mind with more dinghy racks for offshore mooring permit holders, Bike racks near the public piers, Heads, and showers for offshore mooring permits holders.

7. Marina Park: You can ask about the marina occupancy over the last three years, why the banquet rooms and facility have overly restrictive rules. Two years ago I tried to hold an Opening Day for the Harbor 20 fleet in February and was turned down. Things might have changed by now, yet who monitors staff and the marinas maintenance? Is UCI meeting their objectives of participation in the sailing classes?

8. Code enforcement: My observation is that the City is on the right track, yet lets not        overdue it. This topic blends into harbor operations and my concern of continuity.

9. Mooring Size: This topic will be overthought and should be a judgment call of the Harbor Master which leads to problems itself.

10. SUP Safety: All harbors users need to understand the navigation rules of the road and safe boating. My thoughts are to “Keep it Simple”

11. Alternative Anchorages:  There were a couple last minute hurdles but the city is almost there off of the west end Lido Anchorage, let us not forget Big Corona.

12. Central Ave Pier: We need to let more people know about it and this ties in with the new Harbor Guide.

13. Charter Fleet: It’s important to the harbor, yet what is enough? Marina operators are making larger slips. There will be larger boats, over 80 feet, in the harbor very soon. There is only so much room in the harbor and from my Harbor 20 and Duffy we are at capacity.

14. Mariners Mile: My keg is half full on the Green Mile, my gut tells me it will become an extension of the Balboa Resort with condos connecting down the mile. We will have a cute walkway that’s about it. Reducing noise levels on the harbor will be on future agendas and harbor accessibility will be reduced to nothing.

15. Title 17 Updates: Huge topic make sure to pay attention of the dates of the public outreach.

16. Rental Concessions: Not much different than the Charter Fleet, with when is enough.

17. Harbor Speed Limits: My sources tell me there is some good news coming, let’s hope for the best.

18. Onshore/offshore Mooring Relocations: This also blends into the Harbor Operations topic. If this topic is what I think it is I am all for bringing your ball and chain home with you if you do not have a boat yet.

19. Balboa Yacht Basin: Have to assume this topic will be focused on a Marina facility remodel. This will not be taken well but I am for making the whole marina for 25- foot slips only. Rather than affordable housing lets call it affordable boating with strict use rules, in other words you need to use your boat more than four times a month to keep your slip. Yea, dream on Len.

20. Ruby Beach: Not familiar with this topic lets hope it’s focused on cleaning up the shore moorings.

21. Cruising Guide: Is long overdue let us hope it is made digital and we include drone footage of the harbor.

22. Nearshore Dredging: Again, keep it simple.
Upper Bay Needs lights on Channel Markers

23. Harbor vision: Is all good but why don’t we finish what we have started already and remember the tasks we have forgotten. For example the need for smaller slips in the harbor, launch ramps, The Castaways, Marine recycling centers, Upper bay channel marker lights, improved pump-out stations.

It all makes me think of Thanksgiving Dinner somethings smell and look good others will be passed over like turkey necks. Lets just all keep the conversation civilized and pass the wine, please. 



Sea ya 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your post. This is excellent information. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site.
recall services for boats
safety alerts on boats
boat recall alerts

Edwin Dakota said...

It is a good article thanks for sharing this blog it gives lots of information

Fancy Boats Ibiza

Edwin Dakota said...

Great man! You have really done the hard working on this post
Fancy Boats Ibiza