Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A Warm "Indian Summer" Day - Unedited

This last weekend had to have been one of the best weekends I have had on Newport Harbor. It ranks right up there sailing Hobie 16’s in 1975 off of 17th street and getting a speeding ticket or my first Beercan race on Amanate in 1983 and or winning a Harbor 20 race this summer with my wife Jennifer.
At this moment in time I had a cold beverage in hand, my feet up on the cockpit rail of the “Golden Rivet” with two very good friends of mine Amy and Chuck Simmons. We had tied the boat up, stern to, on a single mooring just off M Mark. About five minutes latter Jill and David Willke pulled up with their boat Gemini and side tied next to us. Before we had them tied up securely Melisa and Eric Bozza came by the boat in their Whaler. I cannot think of better company to spend a warm “Indian Summer” day on Newport Harbor with. I mean, just the term “Indian Summer” makes you fell like you are getting away with something. But like my father always tells me you don’t get something for nothing and just about this time our kids started to sail past our flotilla of fun in their sabots for the start of the C3 class in BCYC Corinthian Cup just off M Mark.
The setting was perfect, we were located about 25 yards down from the leeward mark, good friends, warm weather and good times. Then the racing started and Doctor Hyde and Mr. Jekyll showed up. The current was going out with a vengeance and the flag on top of the pavilion was barely moving. It was the perfect ingredients for some real character building moments. As my kid approached the first weather mark I could not help but think of Adam Sandler in “Happy Gilmore” trying to learn how to putt. But he did finally get the ball into the whole and make it around the weather mark. As my son Andrew approached the leeward mark I could see he was trying his best and he really did not want to look at me. But I could not help myself and my mouth started moving “ Sheet in, put your bow down and lean in a little” I shouted over the water. Not really the smart thing to say but I did. Thank goodness one of the other parents started telling their kids what to do. Next the kids had to sail upwind into the current to the finish line and we all tried our best to bight our tongues. By the time the weekend was over the kids were not looking over  and waving any longer, the coaches would look the other way when they passed by but we were getting better at holding our tongues.
They where some classic moments that I plan on keeping for a long time. For example the kid that tried their best to sail into the current and yet never managed to sail past the starting line. When they did make it over the starting line they where given a 3rd place in that race because the fleet was starting to finish. There was also the parent that said “I was just asked to get off the race course is it ok if I join you” to the parent that said “ I can’t stand it anymore” and got on their paddle board to go help their little one. There was also the three kids who had finished their race and where really interested in finding the big dead fish that was floating by. You just got to love that term “Indian Summer” in Newport Harbor.
Lots going on this week in the Harbor so read my blog at http://lenboseyachts.blogspot.com/ for updates on the dredging of the Rhine channel, how I did at the Harbor Commission with the Marina Recycle Centers. This week you will be able to find me at BYC doing market set at the US Match Race Championships.
Sea ya

No comments: