Friday, July 22, 2011

Make time to watch Governor's Cup (Edited)


The Governor's Cup 21 was strategically placed this week in front of the Sterling BMW dealership on West Coast Highway.
"Someone is sailing with their head out of the boat, what a great idea," I thought as I drove south on West Coast Highway toward Balboa Yacht Club.
At the club, I saw something I hadn't seen before: all of the sponsors' banners, flags and decals were presented professionally. The feeling that something special was about to happen overcame me. I quickened my step down to the waterfront.
All 12 of the Governors Cup 21s were lined up off the main dock with many of the participants viewing the boats for the first time with their hands in their pockets. Speaking of viewing, there are many ways for you to see this year's race, which started Wednesday and ends Sunday. The odds are good that you will be able to view most of the race from Balboa Pier.
If you are more of an armchair helms person, go to BYC's website and click on the spinning Governor's Cup link. You will be able to watch "live" streaming of the event and follow the event on Facebook and Twitter.
Should you want to get the true taste of the event, watch the stream and head over to BYC to watch the participants return to the club around 5:30 p.m. each day. This is always one of the fun parts of this event because the participants start to relax and interact with each other.
Now, let's look under the cabin sole and talk about who is going to win the 45th Governor's Cup International Junior Match Racing Championship.
When these kids are on the water it's "game on," the black flag is raised and there are no prisoners in match racing. Who is going to win? I have no idea, because the field is too close to call. Therefore, I am going to pull for the home team and hope that the mojo lands in the cockpit of the BYC team.
This team consists of Helmsman Ryan Davidson, Middle Walker Banks and Bow Brandon Wood. I had an opportunity to talk to Ryan before the Governor's Cup, and I could feel the positive energy around him.
I asked him what it was going to take to win the race.
"Stay positive and keep working," he replied. "It's going to come down to boat handling and we have an outstanding team again this year."
I have watched this team grow up around the club, and if they take the first few matches and just let it happen, they will bring the heat with them in Sunday's finals.
This weekend I will sail in the "Two Around Catalina" race with Dan Rosen and his boat, Problem Child.
I can already feel the mojo just dripping from us, and the forecast looks promising for this time of year. Also note that the dredging equipment has arrived in town. I also caught wind that the 2012 Ensenada Race will change its headquarters to the Coral Marina next year.
Sea ya.
LEN BOSE is an experienced boater, yacht broker and boating columnist.

Please comment if you like the "Len Bose unedited" version better. 

No comments: