Friday, December 03, 2021

On the Harbor: “a walk-about” around the bay


By LEN BOSE

It has been a couple of years since I have completed a “walk-about” around the harbor. I normally start at the end of the peninsula with the public docks then stop by Hills fuel dock, Marina Park, Newport Shipyard, Lido Village and then Basin Shipyard. You are correct, I am not walking – it’s more like peddling my bicycle. 


While checking out the public docks, I had a chance to talk to a couple of mooring permit holders inquiring about the boat pump outs, which is the proper way to dispose of a boat’s holding tank. After introducing myself, I asked how are things going out on the moorings this year and the public docks? Both of the parties I talked to immediately brought up the fact that the new pump-out stations have been working consistently for a long time now. For many years, boats had been pumping out their bilges and the materials within their bilge such as nuts and bolts and loose metal fragments would break down the pump-out station at significant cost to the city to repair each time. You might recall a story I did back in August on George Hylkema’s particle separator (you can find the story here.) When I returned back to my desk, I checked in with my good friend Noel Plutchak who maintains the pump-out stations. Plutchack reports that everything is going flawlessly with the city’s six pump-out stations. Maintenance has been reduced from checking on the stations once a week to once a month. He mentioned he was going to check on all the stations before the Christmas Boat Parade. My sources tell me that Hylkema will be the recipient of a proclamation from the mayor for his innovation and dedication for keeping the harbor clean. It sure would be great to gather the crew to give him the proper “well done” when that night is scheduled.


While going by the Balboa Angling Club, I heard that the fisheries closure that was implemented following the Southern California oil spill has been lifted. The closure began on October 3 and prohibited the take of all fish and shellfish from Huntington Beach to Dana Point. The California Department of Fish and Wildlife has been advised that there is no further risk to public health from seafood consumption in the affected area. Just hope that you had already heard about fisheries closer.


All the shipyards are busy around town. I noticed Dan Gribble’s Tripp 56 Brigadoon hauled out for annual service along with John Raymont Ker 51 Fast Exit II that has been out of the water for more than a month now with the rig out and keel off, along with what appeared to be an 80 ft. plus Northern Marine expedition trawler at the Newport Beach Shipyard. Looking across the bay at the Balboa Boat Yard and the South Coast Boat Yard, both appeared to be very active. My next stop was at the Lido bridge where I took count of the large charter boats in the harbor. My count was 12 boats with no boats in Lido Village or in front of the new building on Pacific Coast Highway. I have to assume that COVID has been rather tough on that Industry.

It had been a long time since I walked through Lido Village; the whole place has been refitted and I have never seen it look so good. I have not been there since George’s Camelot has left, so I am thinking of taking the Duffy over there for dinner one night soon.


My last stop was Basin Shipyard where I was warmly greeted by Dave and Derek New. “Hey Len come in, you’re already wearing your Christmas Spooners!,” Dave New said. The yard was packed, so I would encourage everyone to schedule your annual maintenance early for this coming year. Everyone with pod drives or outboards, make sure you schedule your service now. 

The 113th Newport Beach Christmas Boat themed “Jingle on the Waves!” will be running between December 15-19. If you are launching a boat before the parade at the Dunes you will want to launch before 3 p.m. Low tide is between 4 and 5 p.m. at -.05, which just might leave you high and dry if you show up the last minute. If you are operating a vessel during the parade, keep in mind you will have a lot of water flooding into the harbor on all five nights. I checked in with David Beek and he told me all the yacht clubs, restaurants and charter boats are filled up with reservations. He is anticipating 80-100 boats in the parade, with more than a million people coming into town to watch it. Beek also informed me that the Balboa Yacht Club will be celebrating its 100th birthday this Saturday night.


Sea ya.


~~~~~~~~

Len Bose is a yachting enthusiast, yacht broker and harbor columnist for Stu News Newport.





No comments: