Friday, December 18, 2020

On the Harbor: Wrapping up 2020


By LEN BOSE


It’s time to place the wrapping around 2020 and take a look back over this last year on our harbor. It goes without saying that most people would rather let this year slip by without remembering all the tragedy and loss that has occurred during the war against COVID-19. Reviewing my 24 columns this year, it appears I have stayed focused on how well the harbor has protected most of us and for that, I am extremely grateful. Below is my countdown of the Top Ten Stories of 2020.



10. OASIS Sailing Club. This story was a review of what a fantastic value and opportunity for people to be able to “Go Sailing.” Even during these times, there is still a way to social distance while sailing on a 36’ boat. You can read more about the OASIS Sailing Club at www.stunewsnewport.com/index.php/2-uncategorised/7763-on-the-harbor-oasis-sailing-club-013120.



9. Meet Matt Cosylion, Harbor Department Code Enforcement Supervisor. On June 19, I introduced Matt Cosylion from my observations over this past year with him staying on task and I will be checking in with him in 2021. I closed the story with, “As for Cosylion, I like the guy. Anytime I see a person go to task with enthusiasm, who is focused, along with the ability to listen and is comfortable to approach, then we have the right person on the job. I look forward to seeing him here for a long time to come, and believe we are extremely lucky to have him.” View the complete story at www.stunewsnewport.com/index.php/2-uncategorised/8827-on-the-harbor-meet-matt-cosylion-061920.


8. 2020 Harbor 20 Fleet One Championships review. This story has only run on my blog site and it was one of the easiest stories to write this year, because the race results will show that my wife Jennifer and I were able to reach the sought-after goal of finishing in the top half of the fleet. And our good friends Anne and Kurt Wiese are the new H20 Fleet Champions. You can find the story at http://lenboseyachts.blogspot.com/2020/09/2020-harbor-20-fleet-one-championships.html.




7. The strength of the BCYC Jr. Sailing Program. This Junior Sailing program pulled off the impossible this year by raising the bar across the harbor. BCYC junior sailing director Aubrey Mayer is someone you will read more about in the future. For now, you can find the story at www.stunewsnewport.com/index.php/2-uncategorised/8934-on-the-harbor-the-strength-of-bcyc-070320.



6. Catching up with OC Sheriff’s Harbormaster. I caught up with Lt. Chris Corn on November 6 and to put it simply...I like this guy. This is how I closed the story over my 13 years as a harbor reporter. “I have interviewed six OC harbormasters and Corn has become one of the best among them, along with the same ranks as Long and Alsobrook. Corn is approachable, and he attends most harbor meetings from Huntington to Dana Point. I tease him about the nine different yacht club opening days he attends in the hot sun and in full dress uniform each year. He’s a good one, and if we are lucky enough to keep him for the next two years, our harbors will most certainly benefit.” For the story go to www.stunewsnewport.com/index.php/2-uncategorised/9884-on-the-harbor-catching-up-with-oc-110620.




5. Catch and Dispose. This story ran on my blog site and is one I am very proud of because the Harbor 20 Fleet 1 members collected more than 350 pounds of trash out of our harbor. You can check out the story at http://lenboseyachts.blogspot.com/2020/04/team-drayton-sunday-april-26-2020.html.



4. H 20 „NUTS“ series. With the yacht clubs closing down during the start of the “war,” Harbor 20 Fleet 1 contacted our local authorities and with their permission created one of our harbor’s largest relief valves for many of our local sailors and their families. At the close of the events I wrote, “BIG shout out to everyone who participated over the last 12 weeks, and almost 50 races with an average number of boats at 20 and a lot of photos taken.” You can review all the photos at http://lenboseyachts.blogspot.com/2020/03/saturday-march-28-2020-newport-beach-ca.html.



3. Harbor Commissioner Paul Blank’s watch is completed. At last count, I have attended more than 100 Harbor Commission meetings and there is one Harbor Commissioner who has stood above the rest – Paul Blank. For the whole story, go to www.stunewsnewport.com/index.php/2-uncategorised/9053-on-the-harbor-farewell-to-harbor-commission-s-paul-blank-071720.




2. Newport Beach’s 20 Most Interesting Yachts Power & Sail. I spent a couple of days cruising the harbor previewing sailing yachts that I have seen over this past season. My Top 10 choice countdowns for each were made by what I believe are the most interesting and demonstrate the character of our unique harbor. Most of the boats I selected are custom and have been in the bay for a long time. To be honest, I am hoping to get the listing on these or at least be invited aboard. Special thanks to my editors Lana and Tom Johnson for letting me run these two stories. You will find the 10 most interesting power boats at www.stunewsnewport.com/index.php/2-uncategorised/10006-on-the-harbor-newport-beach-s-10-most-112020; and sailboats at www.stunewsnewport.com/index.php/2-uncategorised/10107-on-the-harbor-newport-beach-s-10-most-interesting-120420.





1. The Newport Beach Sailing Hall of Fame. Just before the coronavirus invaded our shores, I looked back in history and came up with the Newport Beach Sailing Hall of Fame. I started with the Newport Harbor Yacht Club history book, three yacht club roster books and my phone. I interviewed David Carol, Phil Ramser, Larry Somers, Don Ayers, Brad Avery, Tom Schock, Henry Sprague, Jane Farwell, George Twist, Dennis Durgan and Dave Ullman. To qualify, inductees into the Newport Beach Sailing Hall of Fame must have spent most of their lives competing in or on our harbor. Their attendance would most certainly increase the boat’s performance, and I recognized their advanced skill level in the sport of sailing. You can find the story at www.stunewsnewport.com/index.php/2-uncategorised/7671-on-the-harbor-the-newport-beach-sailing-011720

Thank you for your continuous support we will sea ya next year!

~~~~~~~~

Len Bose is a yachting enthusiast, yacht broker and harbor columnist for Stu News Newport.

No comments: